Links, tools and gadgets

Thursday, March 16, 2006

My Collection - COMICS BUYER'S GUIDE [1983 Series]

Comics Buyer's Guide [1983 series]
33 issues [1992 - 1995]
963 - 964, 971 - 981, 988, 990, 996, 999 - 1000, 1003, 1007 - 1008, 1011, 1033, 1041, 1044, 1059 - 1061, 1068, 1097, 1103, 1107, 1122

I'm not sure exactly when THE BUYER'S GUIDE FOR COMIC FANDOM was renamed to COMICS BUYER'S GUIDE. Long before I first bought it. I guess when that online index they're working at (linked to above) gets that far I'll know.

Anyway, under whatever name, it's been published in some format by various publishers since 1971, as a weekly tabloid sized newspaper/magazine (on newsprint but stapled) for the era of issues I have. It continues to this day, only as a monthly magazine (sample issue in pdf format available online). #963 was the first issue with that format, I used to have some earlier issues that were in a more traditional newspaper format, but I seem to have lost or thrown them out at some point. Which is a shame, since I remember some funny Mark Martin "20 Nude Dancers 20" strips among other things in them. I mostly bought it at a time just after my comic news magazine of choice, AMAZING HEROES, was cancelled, and when a comic shop I went to used to sell any copy still sitting around after about two weeks for $1, and since the time-sensitive material like ads didn't matter to me, it was worth that much for the occasional article by Tony Isabella, Peter David, Mark Evanier, Bob Ingersoll and others (a lot of which has been supplanted by the interweb, of course), plus a few other features. A few others I specifically bought new for the cover feature. For the last few years that it was in the newspaper format I rarely saw a copy to leaf through and see if it was worth picking up. I'd probably have considered subscribing if I was in the US, but the price to Canada was crazy.

Kept 'em this long, guess I'll keep 'em longer. Though they take up an awful lot of room for their interest.

Most noteworthy issues among those I have are #1059 - #1060, which have a lot of reaction to Jack Kirby's passing, including a long article by Mark Evanier in those first two issues and lots of columns and letters about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weblog by BobH [bobh1970 at gmail dot com]